
Sam had a bad week last week.
On Saturday Stephen noticed that Sam was talking like he was congested...he thought he sounded cute. On Sunday Sam felt sick all day. His stomach and head hurt and he had a fever. He stayed home from church and lay down all day. Sunday night we noticed Sam had a large (golf ball sized) bump on his neck right under his ear. I didn't even think to check his throat because he always said it didn't hurt. I called a friend who is a nurse to ask for advice. I really didn't know if I should take him in, and I didn't really want to take him to the emergency room. She said we should be OK until tomorrow.
Monday morning I get him into the doctor. He is very surprised at the swollen lymph nodes. He says we'll give him some antibiotics..if the swelling doesn't go down in a couple of days we'll have to get him to an ENT... this is before he looked in his mouth. His tonsils were HUGE. They were almost covering his airway and had yucky gunk on them. As soon as he saw that he walked out and said he was calling the ENT right away. He had me thinking about hospital stays and draining the tonsils..it was awful! So..a couple of hours later we show up at the ENT. He feels like they haven't abscessed..yet. He prescribed a shot of powerful antibiotics and a liquid to take the rest of the week.
This whole time Sam is in his PJ's and feeling so awful as I drag him around to the doctors. This time we have Jack with us and he is into everything in the office..plus has a poopy diaper.
Sooo back to our pediatrician where we wait for the nurse to give Sam the shot. He is so scared and he feels terrible. We go back into the room and Sam starts screaming and crying. The nurse has to sit on his feet. I hold him in a bear hug on the table and the other nurse jabs the needles in both his legs. Poor boy is just screaming. I'm crying, Sam is crying, and Jack is crying. The shots were very thick and I know it just hurt!
I talk with the doctor..he suggests maybe we need to go to the lab for a blood draw just to make sure it isn't mono..there is no way I am doing that! We head home..exhausted.
The next day I bring Sam in again for a check up. He feels a lot better..but is still really swollen and his tonsils look horrible. As the week progresses things get better. Our only bump was when Stephen was giving him 1 ml of medicine instead of a teaspoon..we had to do a little make up. He missed school for the whole week but was fine to go out of town for the weekend and went to school today. What a nasty bug. I'm just glad our Sam is OK and I hope we never have to go through that again!


3 comments:
Poor little guy! Poor mom! I can just imagine how painful it was to see your Sam go through that.
I'm glad he's feeling better.
Hugs
Corin
Oh how sad! Poor thing. I hope he doesn't have the Kimball tonsil problem from now on. Glad he's doing better.
That is the worst when you have to watch your kids go through something so hard for them. Especially if you have to help hold them down instead of saving them! I'm so sorry and I'm glad he is feeling better!
Post a Comment