Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day

I am so behind in my blogging.

Here are a few pictures from the Memorial Day program we went to.

I like to take my kids so they can see that Memorial Day isn't just a day off of school to BBQ.

It was very touching. We were in a cemetery surrounded by waving flags. The band played, we sang, said the Pledge of Allegiance and listened to a couple of speeches.

All I can say is I'm glad I had my sunglasses on. I start tearing up during the pledge and just never stopped. I loved when the band played the different songs for the different branches of the military and the men/women stood up who had served...I just get so emotional.

The 21 gun salute


Flags lined the cemetery


Flags representing the soldiers from WWI thru the War on Terror who have died during the past year. Their names were read and a flag was placed in their honor.


Cute little old couple that I couldn't resist taking a picture of.
He served in two branches of the military.
I tried to be stealth so they wouldn't notice.


I love these type of celebrations. Just give me a band, some flags, and community togetherness and I cry.
I am proud to be an American and proud and thankful for all of the people who have fought for my freedom. Thank you.

2 comments:

Tillia said...

That is so awesome to take your kids to stuff like that. I need to follow your example, I am also very proud to be an American and I love my country.

jeannie said...

definitely a tradition that i think we will copy. what a great idea!